[ExI] North Korea's super EMP Bomb

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 19:03:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM, spike wrote:
> Ja!  Did the NTSB know about the pulse?  I had never heard that perhaps Asoh
> didn't fuck up.  It would make my day to have that confirmed.
>
> According to the urban legend as I heard it, Asoh intended to set his
> altimeter alarm for 211 feet, but had accidently apparently set it for 11
> ft.  So it didn't go off until he was practically in the water.  That
> incident or some version of the story is still used to this day in
> management training sessions.  That would be sweet indeed to know an EMP may
> have screwed up the pilot's attempt to set the altimeter alarm or perhaps
> messed up the radar alarm itself.

The full accident report is here:    (PDF)
<http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR70-02.pdf>

They concluded that the whole crew screwed up because of poor training
and unfamiliarity with the equipment and landing procedures in that
aircraft type. But Asoh was in overall charge, so he took
responsibility.

Asoh shouldn't have been using the radio altimeter during landing the
way he tried to use it.
I suspect he had used it that way in different aircraft previously and
got away with it OK.
But a new aircraft meant different procedures and equipment that the
aircrew were unfamiliar with.

BillK