[ExI] Social right to have a living

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:18:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Well, we've legislatively banned hiring and firing based on race.  We
> could go further, e.g. by setting up resume bureaus that presented name
> and gender scrubbed resumes to hiring companies, which would help people
> at least get one step further in the process than "this name sound
> black, let's not respond to them".

### First they forbade IQ testing. Then they trivialized school, so
you can't use school performance as measure of intelligence,
agreeableness and conscientiousness. Now you want to forbid using
proxy measures.

Where will it end?

> I'm not sure it can't be improved by political solutions.  On the stick
> side, requiring/encouraging more documentation and transparency in
> various processes.  On the carrot side, providing more opportunities.
> Stuff like helping minorities into Ivy League schools is part of that.

### For every underperforming minority admitted there is a smart Asian
kid rejected. What's there to be proud of?

Rafal