[ExI] Homelessness (was Re: Social right to have a living)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Jun 27 06:51:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:58:32PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> Giving homeless people a home sounds like a really good idea, until
> you actually try it. They don't know how to take care of a home. They

Depends on why they're homeless.  Some are perfectly well-adjusted
people with jobs who live out of cars because that's all they can
afford.

> Many homeless in the US are mentally ill, turned out on the streets by
> well meaning liberals at the ACLU.

Turned out on the streets by Reagan slashing supportive programs is the
version I know.

> Not all homeless people are created equal, and some would do well if
> you just gave them a house. I would submit that the percentage that
> would do well in this situation is lower than you might think.

Or higher than you might think.  Foreclosures, battered women and their
children, "welfare reform" that cuts off after five years even if
employment is not available, falling support for low-income housing,
medical bankruptcy...

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/why.html
Talks about various factors, and puts 16% as mentally ill.

Anyway, the thought experiment you're responding to wasn't even about
providing a full home, just land on which to have a home, or at minimum
exist without getting kicked around.

-xx- Damien X-)