[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Mon Jun 27 21:28:09 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> 2011/6/23 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net <mailto:jonkc at bellsouth.net>>
>  > Richard Loosemore wrote
>  > "A "motivation mechanism" is something that an ordinary PC does not
> even have,"
>  >
>  > Sure it does, although I admit that the the word "motivation" is
> usually used for things somewhat more complex than a PC, but it still
> just means the things that caused a system to perform one way rather
> than another.
>
> BTW, if we accept the Principle of Computational Equivalence, ideally a
> contemporary PC is certainly capable of running an anthropomorphic AGI,
> provided that you know how to program it to this effect and that
> "real-time" is not a requirement of your Turing test (that is, if you
> can wait a few aeons for its replies).

Meaningless statement.  A trivial use of the PCE.

An ordinary PC, if programmed correctly, might be capable of something
approaching full human intelligence in real time.  Probably not, but it
is a possibility.

Since everything depends on the type of computation required (which you
do not know), it is pointless to make statements such as "a contemporary
PC is certainly capable of running an anthropomorphic AGI".

Richard Loosemore