[ExI] Natasha's TransH, Libertarians, Singu(Kevin Haskell)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:21:42 UTC 2011

2011/6/26 Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>:
> Transhumanism, by its very nature, cannot be overtly negative.  It would be
> like saying negentropy can be extropy.

This, I think, is a very important point.

"Transhumanists" should refer to those who consider themselves (at an
individual or collective or clade level) as humans in transition
towards a posthuman status.

I am inclined to think that as a *movement* you should also think that
you need to be *willing* a posthuman change, and fight for it, in
order for it to happen (what would be the point otherwise of activism
on the issue? cheerleading? literary exercises?).

But I accept that there are transhumanists, such as Kurzweil himself,
who believe that a posthuman change is going to take place
no-matter-what, out of some marxism- or judeochristianism-style
"historical necessity" - even though this sounds as dangerously
lulling you in some faith in a "final victory" of your hopes which at
the very least appears a demobilising concept.

I am reluctant on the contrary to accept that somebody may be defined
as a transhumanist who still believes that a posthuman change might
take place but sees it as a *nightmare*, to be fought if possible or,
if it is not deemed possible, at least to be cursed.

--
Stefano Vaj