[ExI] libertarian (asteroid) defense

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Mar 1 00:24:16 UTC 2011

On 02/28/2011 01:39 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:29:42PM -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>>> I recently ran into an extreme case of this:
>>> http://volokh.com/2011/02/15/asteroid-defense-and-libertarianism/
>> If private insurance companies sold asteroid insurance, which they
>> should, then there would be a significant desire to avoid payout. That
> Why should they?  Can they make money off of it?  Why aren't they
> selling asteroid insurance right now?  Who would buy end of the world
> insurance -- who would make or receive payments?

Hehe.  Let an asteroid come that close of that size and it will be
swarmed by libertopian prospectors for the trillions in rare earths,
precious metals, volatiles and space construction material it contains.
It would be much much more likely to be harmlessly (not to mention
profitably) diverted from impact.  :)

- samantha