[ExI] Easy solution to wars like that in Libya, and in these groups?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:24:58 UTC 2011

On 25 February 2011 21:12, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Are you assuming that this collective state of mind is particularly
> rational or a good [enough] decision maker?

Do we assume that our individual "society of the mind" state is a
particularly rational or good enough decision maker?

No. What can safely be assumed is that most of us like to decided for him-
or herself nevertheless - and, additionally, that a sufficiently diverse set
of decisions may even be of some use to confront their rationality and
"goodness", whatever this may mean.

Why this should be any different with collective entities, such as
communities, corporations, and above all *peoples*?

> This is a problem I had with Eliezer's CEV concept as well.  Even a
> powerful AGI that deeply ferreted out and did what humanity collectively
> wanted or what it extrapolated that humanity when most rational/wise would
> want would not be a clear win.

I do not care much for what "humanity" (whatever this may mean...) wants,
let alone for its will being universally forced across the board on the
entire species. If anything, "humanity" is likely to be currently opposed to
anything threatening its top-of-food-chain position, including a posthuman
evolution of sectors thereof.

On the other hand, the ability of *each* political entity to make diverse
decisions as to its future remains, IMHO, the best chance for any
prospective of posthuman change, or rather *changes*. If anything, for the
pressure it puts on neoluddite competitors.

Do we fear for the oppression, however defined, of individuals by foreign
state? Nothing prevents one in the Internet era from trying and persuading
its citizens that system B is better than system A, if he so wishes, and in
the meantime to make it as easy as possible for them to vote with their
feet.

--
Stefano Vaj