[ExI] Scanners live in vain

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Mar 1 13:47:10 UTC 2011

Damien B groused:

>Meanwhile, there's this old chunky Zip 100 drive where I've solved the
>power supply problem but now Vista doesn't want to provide a letter or
>icon for me to click to activate the bastard. Bop it!

Fred replied:

         :
>The person who developed it is German.

(Klaus) Knopper + Unix => Knopp- + -ix => Knoppix

Knoppix is very useful, especially for wrangling Windows machines.
http://www.knoppix.org/

For getting zippy --

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Knowing_Knoppix/Using_floppy_disks#Using_an_Iomega_Zip_disk

Re the scanner -- Put it on an ice floe. Grandpa's time to die. You
can get better than that at a garage sale or Salvation Army. For good
prices, intelligent reviews, and great service on new equipment, I
rely on newegg.com. I heard about them from Jerry Pournelle's go-to
guy for hardware, Robert Bruce Thompson.

And I, of course, have (crank and/or informed) opinions on what you
might want in scanners. Ask me off-list.

-- David.