[ExI] asteroid defense

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Mar 2 11:38:06 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
> After a couple of hours of fussing around trying to find asteroid
> insurance, I am pretty sure nobody is currently selling any currently.

Good to know.

> I did, however, find the following site:
> http://www.fair-society.org/

Interesting, and a bit sad.

There is also the B612 foundation:
http://www.b612foundation.org/
Their goal is to significantly alter the orbit of an asteroid, in a
controlled manner, by 2015 (I think they are running out of time). But
they have done a bit of analysis on gravity tractors. The JPL report is
pretty cheering,
http://www.b612foundation.org/papers/JPL_report.doc
Now they just need to get people with money to start funding a real
program.

> Another fairly cool project is orbit at home, which is like seti at home,
> but for NEO computation.
> http://orbit.psi.edu/oah/index.php
> At least their web site seems to work pretty good... :-)

The first BOINC project I know of that actually tries to reduce xrisk.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute