[ExI] Extrope Robert Bradbury Has Died

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Mar 3 19:16:51 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of John Grigg
Subject: Re: [ExI] Extrope Robert Bradbury Has Died

>...  I remember sitting at a table in Spike's backyard, and Robert was
discussing with Greg Burch about his upcoming project that involved
nanotubes.  Robert touched on some of his painful business reversals, during
that conversation...

Thanks for reminding me of that John.  That was in 2001 if I recall.  We had
a later party (about 2003) at my house where an interesting thing happened.
We gathered the usual suspects, the locals, one of which was Melanie Swan.

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/people/Melanie-Swan/

For those of you who do not know her, Melanie is a nice, kindhearted, smart,
good person, and she is half-normal.  She appears perfectly at home with
normal people, yet still fits in perfectly well with... um... us.  So she
and my wife have that in common: both are half normal.  We had a party of
the local ExI-crowd, which in those days was everything: the cryonics
people, the nanotech crowd, the singularity types, the far futurists,
Eliezer and his followers, and so forth.  Melanie came, with her sweetheart,
who as far as anyone could tell, was a *completely normal* guy.  So he was a
little bewildered, among a crowd of us hardcore types, while his own
sweetheart displayed no apparent alarm at... our... well, help me here.  You
guys have been to extroschmoozes.  It was that, only moreso.

Recall this all happened after the 1999 backyard party in which the hakosote
incident took place.  My neighbors are *still* talking about that, 12 years
later.

So Melanie and Robert get to talking, and she asks him, Robert, what is an
MBrain?

Oooh, big mistake.  He launches into animated Robert-isms.  Those of you who
know how Robert used to hold court, with people forming a ring around him
hoping to absorb stray idea-inos, how can I describe Robert-isms?  So I am
sitting across from these three, Robert, Melanie and her sweetheart, and
watching this hapless lonely normal guy as he tries to figure out which way
to flee should this crowd suddenly turn violent, and how to rescue his
sweetheart from this insane asylum of my back yard.