[ExI] Neutrino interaction web

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 13:29:30 UTC 2011

Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> > Creating a molecule with just 3 carbon atoms would be
> .. difficult ..
> You are just pessmistic. It exists: cyclopropane.
>
> At least chemistry makes sense. But it is after all almost
> on our own
> size scale.

Ha, I should have known!  I was imagining a kind of triangular version of graphene, and thinking "That'll never work".  You could put Oxygen or Sulphur or something in there instead of the Hydrogen, and possibly get a sheet with a bumpy surface.  Not that there's much point, as we have graphene.

Maybe (if Adrian's idea of a neutron-rich surface being good for catching neutrinos is anywhere near the mark) an aligned double layer of graphene with a neutron-dense atom caught between each pair of hexagons might be of some use.  Pile a few hundred such sheets together, and you might get a fairly neutron-dense surface. It would still look like empty space to a neutrino, though.

I'm talking rubbish, aren't I?  Plain old lead would be much better.  Oh, well..

Love those 'platonic hydrocarbons', though.  Cool!

Ben Zaiboc