[ExI] Serfdom and libertarian critiques (Was: Call to Libertarians)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:32:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> Seems it is more complicated than that. (Like real life often is).

Only because of meddling bureaucrats.

> In London, over the last five years or so, congestion charging has had
> the desired effect of reducing the number of private cars entering the
> central zone.
>
> Initially traffic flow improved, but now the jams are back again, even
> with reduced traffic volume. Why has this happened?
>
> It turns out that there have been other 'improvements' implemented to
> benefit other users.
> 1) Cycle paths have been installed, reducing the road volume for motor vehicles.
> 2) Most traffic lights have had a pedestrian phase added, which stops
> all roads for a period while pedestrians cross.
> 3) Additional pedestrian controlled lights have been installed to
> allow pedestrians to cross roads with continual streams of traffic.

All brought to you by meddling bureaucrats who once they had taxed the
system, saw that there was excess capacity to milk for political
benefit. (i.e. once the drivers were "happy" for the moment, they
could try to make the pedestrians and cyclists happy for the moment).
Short term thinking is a hallmark of bureaucratic thinking, even
though it is generally alleged that only government can do long term
planning. The corporation is always thinking (allegedly) about the
next quarter profits. The difference lies in whether you are talking
about political capital or money. The group think is the same in
either case.

> So you would have to add pedestrian pricing into the scheme as well.
> As soon as anyone moves outside their house, on foot, cycle or car,
> the meter would have to start charging. That's a real communist
> society!

Bill, I'm not sure that's communist exactly. Totalitarian, possibly.
But London is the most camera heavy city in the world (by my
understanding) so big brother is watching anyway.

-Kelly