[ExI] RPGs and transhumanism

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Mar 6 15:58:18 UTC 2011

AlgaeNymph wrote:
> On 2/26/11 7:14 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>> The reason I like it, besides the fact that it is a pretty good game,
>> is that it allows people to play out various transhumanist
>> technologies and explore their consequences.
>
> Wouldn't people playing this game already be into transhumanism?
No. From my discussions with them on the online forum, most are entirely
ordinary roleplayers. Some have a science fiction bent or know a bit
about transhumanism, but they are not (with a few notable exceptions)
our crowd.

I think many people get a bit surprised when they discover that some of
the groups mentioned in the game world exist for real. I just wished we
were (or will become) as cool and powerful as our ersatz versions. It
would be pretty fun to visit some of the places:
http://www.eclipsephase.com/building-extropia

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute