[ExI] Bottom-up currencies

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 04:52:47 UTC 2011

On 10 March 2011 18:31, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 05:32:09PM +1030, Emlyn wrote:
>
>> So, a couple of things:
>>
>> 1 - Where is the theory on this stuff; where should I begin to look? I
>> am guessing there's some useful libertarian writing on this, for
>> example.
>
> You're aware of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency
> of course?

I am now, of course! That's an excellent page, with even better
linkage. A good rabbit hole for a quiet weekend, thanks!

>> 2 - If it is useful, it seems that it's something that needs a
>> technological platform to make it really go. If you can set up a
>> currency somewhere trusted, which will enforce your local rules, track
>> who has how much of what, and provide the ability to for people to
>> make trades between currencies, with copious APIs for third parties to
>> work with it, then you have the basis for a decentralisation of
>> currency that could be really interesting.
>
> A good experiment would be to hack a bitcoin http://www.bitcoin.org/
> app for Android that can do remote interactions and would also
> support NFC for newer Androids.

I'm impressed by Bitcoin, but not convinced. I'll address it
separately. Nevertheless, someone should do that. If you're trying to
get an electronic currency off the ground, it really wants to be on a
mobile device!