[ExI] tsunami in japan

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 12 07:26:03 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:28:13AM -0800, spike wrote:

>    Comparing yesterday's tsunami in Japan to the one in the Indian Ocean
>    on 26 December 2004: the death toll in this one will likely be on the
>    order of a tenth of a percent of the 2004 incident, yet the property
>    damage as measured in anything we recognize as currency will likely be
>    far greater in 2011 than in 2004.
>

>    Currencies do odd things like that.

Government building codes also do things like that. (I.e. the low death
toll part, here and in Chile's 8.8 last year.)

Helps to be rich enough to build good buildings, of course (though
Chile's 1/3 the per capita income of the US) but also helps to
officially minimize people gambling with their lives.

-xx- Damien X-)