[ExI] Two Japanese reactors on red alert

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 05:38:17 UTC 2011

On Mar 12, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:52:02AM -0800, spike wrote:
>
>> Events like Japan's earthquake remind us that nuclear power is an answer but
>> may not be the universal answer.
>
> It is not an answer economically, ecologically, or sustainably,
> or even in the ability to deliver (500 GW/year substitution rate
> every year, for the next 40 years, or twice that for 20 years).

I see no reason for such pessimism on all types of nuclear power, especially molten salt thorium designs.  I don't propose to run them for 40 years though.  Only run them until we have something better.  Run them to get the world off of oil and coal without huge spikes in cost.    Or do you propose to simply wring our hands and give it up as hopeless?

- samantha