[ExI] shortening attention spans

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Mar 13 10:12:38 UTC 2011

Quick summary: it is not our attention spans that are getting shorter,
it is the opportunity costs of wasting time on boring stuff that are
getting larger.

I wonder if we really have shorter attention spans. It certainly *feels*
that way, but a few years in Oxford and too much cognitive bias
literature has made me distrust my own judgment.

Case in point: novels have become extremely thick over the past two
generations. Sitting here in my mother's apartment watching the
bookshelves, I note that most of the novels from the early 7/10th of the
20th century, both fine literature and detective stories, are pretty
thin books (with a few exceptions). In the 80s they started to swell.
These days most novels are thick, and I think it is indeed word
thickness. Now that would suggest that attention spans are not flagging
(and that word processors allow authors to write more). Looking around
the net I see that writers claim there is a trend towards shorter novels
again because of economic reasons of bookstore shelf space, but ebooks
could certainly change that. Doing some statistics suggests that it is
not the average length that is going up, but the minimum length.

Similarly, movies have for technical reasons become able to be epic in
length, and I assume there are economic reasons too (how much would you
pay for a ticket to a 50 minute movie?). Yet the clipping has become far
faster - seeing young people encounter Kubrick's 2001 for the first time
is instructive. They better not try Tarkovsky's Solaris.

So my theory is that we can pay attention for a long time - but we want
a lot to happen per unit of time too. We want faster rewards, more action.

Why? Perhaps because there is so much stuff out there, so the
alternative cost of spending a lot of time on something that does not
turn out to be worthwhile is higher. In the time you have spent reading
this post (and I writing it) we could have read several RSS entries and
short blog posts, watched a YouTube clip, browsed Wikipedia or run a
calculation in our favorite math program.

If this is true, then we should expect the trend to continue: it is
rational to demand quick and reliable evidence that whatever we have in
front of us is relevant or interesting. Spending a lot of time finding
out if it actually is by just consuming it would mean we would often
waste precious time and attention on things that are not as good.

There is of course a tradeoff here, since some important things do not
look inviting (since they were made before the current attention
economy) and some unimportant things masquerade as important. Smart
agents balance the exploration with exploitation.

This is why reliable filtering and reviewing actually are key transhuman
technologies. And why training to recognize the real cost and value of
what you are doing is such a key transhuman virtue.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute