[ExI] Are mini nuclear power stations the way forward?

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Mar 17 13:15:58 UTC 2011

Il 17/03/2011 8.56, Eugen Leitl ha scritto:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:40:28PM -0700, spike wrote:
>
>> Mike, we don't have 10-20 years.  The problem is that the Japanese
>> quake has scared off nuclear power investors now.  We will be
>> forced to lower consumption by market forces, and that includes
>> lower consumption of food.

> The average US citizen has a baseline metabolism of that of a blue
> whale (11 kW -- whales can do 2.3 MW peak, though). The EU is about
> half that, and Japan is more efficient still at equal to higher
> quality of life.

> I see no reason why you can't cut back to 3-4 kW eventually.

Can or must? Do you contemplate forcing them?
It is their choice, not your.

> But food has no connection to electricity (which is a small fraction
> of energy total, and of that the nuclear component is smaller still).
> Food in the U.S. is 10:1 fossil calorie input to food calorie output.
> Most of it is natural gas for Haber-Bosch nitrogen fixation.
>
> Electricity, particularly nuclear electricity, has zero impact of
> food production. I should say that again.

And what about food preservation?
Fridge and freezers use electricity to be build and to operate.
The food industry use electricity to process foods and commercialize them.

What prevent people from implementing high rise farms inside cities,
apart the high cost of energy (and stupid build codes and likes)?

How do you implement PHEV and EV vehicles on large scale without more
electricity? Do we keep using hydrocarbons or we return to burning cow
and pig manure. This is a large quantity of manure to burn.

> Everybody got that? Probably not.

Repeating an argument until the nausea set in never make it true.
In electricity is not used in food production now, it can be used in
food production in the future. In greenhouses or recharging the
accumulators of farm trucks and likes. Do you great imagination is
unable to imagine this?

--
Leggimi su Extropolitica Blog <http://extropolitca.blogspot.com/>

Leggimi su Estropico Blog <http://estropico.blogspot.com/>

*Mirco Romanato*

-----
Nessun virus nel messaggio.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 10.0.1204 / Database dei virus: 1498/3512 -  Data di rilascio: 17/03/2011