[ExI] note from a foaf in japan

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Mar 20 07:12:04 UTC 2011

On 03/19/2011 11:11 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Apart from doomers, and strange cults, I doubt anyone has
> more than a couple days worth of food in the larder anywhere
> in the western world. People who lived through World War II
> are probably an exception.
 The point about people who lived through WWII is an interesting one.  In
the USA the 1930s depression had an impact on the habits of many who
lived through it.  I know someone who lived through it and keeps lots of
canned goods as well as frozen foods including frozen bread; easily
enough to feed a couple of people for 6 weeks at least.

Silicon Valley is as has already been pointed out a prime earthquake
country.  It is not uncommon for people here to have food and water
stored.  I urge people to have two weeks worth at a minimum.   It is not
that difficult.  Just go to Costco and get four of the 8 can packs of
Progresso or similar brand chicken soup.  That gives you 32 cans of soup
which will last one person for more that two weeks at a rate of two cans
per day.  If you are vegetarian then you might consider getting the
Amy's Minestrone and Lintel packs.   It might be a very boring diet but
it will keep you alive and it is the kind of thing you can rotate
through your normal eating habits it does not go bad.  Yes I know that
canned soup is not nutritionally perfect but it will keep you from
starving.  Plus keep some walnuts and chocolate on hand. Eat soup and
take vitamin and fish oil supplements and eat some nuts and chocolate
and you can live for two weeks; you might lose a few pounds but you will
be alive.  The main thing is to make sure you have sufficient water
because water mains can break in a quake.  Also do not let your gas tank
get below half full.   If you need to get out and the roads are clear
the average car can go at least a 100 miles down the highway on a half
tank of gas.

Fred