[ExI] note from a foaf in japan

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sun Mar 20 17:34:43 UTC 2011

On 03/20/2011 04:57 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:12:04AM -0700, F. C. Moulton wrote:
>> Silicon Valley is as has already been pointed out a prime earthquake
>> country.  It is not uncommon for people here to have food and water
>> stored.  I urge people to have two weeks worth at a minimum.   It is not
> Water is a bit difficult to store properly, though nanosilver/ozone
> and UV irradiation helps. Modern nanopore filters are pretty good
> though, and in a pinch you can just keep a large rainwater tank,
> and sterilize by means of filling and putting clean PET bottles on
> the roof for 1-2 days into direct sunlight.

Somehow the discussion just got shifted from two weeks to indefinite.
Getting back to the two weeks discussion one method that I use is to
fill 3 gallon jugs at one of the "water store" places for 25 cents per
gallon.  The water is filtered and treated and I think tastes better.
Then I just place the 3 gallon jugs up into a dispenser and I have water
which I drink everyday.  Rotate through the jugs (1 have 8 or 9) and do
not let more than 5 get empty and you will have at least 15 gallons of
fresh water which will give you a gallon a day for two weeks.

And there is water in the average home water system pipes and water heater.

Of course this discussion needs an explicit threat model to be more
complete.  Considering how to survive for two weeks after a major quake
with no tsunami is different from a major quake with a tsunami is
different from a huge volcanic eruption resulting in major global crop
failure is different from economic collapse.

And there are companies provide related items.  One company is
http://beprepared.com/
I have purchased Gamma Seal lids from them for sealing 5 gallon
buckets.  I wanted to have some storage at Burning Man which would keep
playa dust out and in one bucket keep garbage odors in.  The Gamma Seal
lids worked perfectly.

Fred