[ExI] Moving big things in Utah tonight

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 03:40:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tonight, the Utah Transportation Authority will break the western
> hemisphere record for moving a bridge constructed at the side of the
> road. It is 80' x 354', roughly the size of a football field.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtXe3trR_o
>
> Is that cool or what? If it weren't going to be snowing at the time,
> I'd go watch, even though it is in the middle of the night.
>
> Apparently 60% of ALL bridges built in this way have been built in
> Utah. Why wouldn't they do this in California and other places? It
> takes the disruption of traffic down from several months to one night
> and makes things safer for workers too.

1) Not Invented Here

2) Because it is not well understood by contractors out here, and/or
not well adapted to particular details of the local geography, the
projected costs would be way up for doing it out here.  Note, for
example, that this bridge is being moved into place over completely
dry ground - freeway, in fact - that can take the load and allow workers
to access the bottom without special equipment.