[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun May 1 15:03:46 UTC 2011

2011/4/30 Mr Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What about the ability of accumulating virtual exchange units -
>> essentially by the manipulation thereof and beyond any limit of what
>> you can expect to be able to consume - having become the exclusive
>> adaptative trait, hierarchical factor and status symbol in our
>> societies?
>
> I don't think anyone should be able to hoard more than they can consume.
>  Not as long as there are those who're starving/dehydrating/freezing to
> death.  When I know that those BILLIONS of people out there, who fight daily
> to survive, are incapable of making the 'smart' moves these Billionaires
> make (having been provided the same stable upbringing), THEN I'll concede,
> and personally hand them their 7, 8, 9 figure checks.
> Until then, be grateful to be standing on the shoulder of giants, and live
> off of a measly $5million a year, or some arbitrary multiple of the poorest
> income.
> $$$=Opportunity. Having 8 or 9 figures in your acct just means that there
> are MANY who won't have opportunity---because of you. Rationalize it away
> any way you'd like.

### Ah, the typical moralizing - you can't be richer than I because
somebody out there is poor. Of course, virtually none of the
moralizers who are usually quite rich and personally, through
charitable giving, well-capable of feeding/hydrating at least a couple
hundred of the alleged victims of capitalism, actually does anything
about it. All they do is rail against the rich.

This tells me that their true intention is signaling - trying to tell
the tribe they are one of us, not trying to raise themselves above
others, showing solidarity with each and everyone, worthy of love and
respect. Such hypocrisy is usually fueled by envy, sometimes by a
desire to blend in with the masses, out of an instinctive fear of
being attacked. They always attack the best, the few, since the few
are an easy target for the looting mob.

And if all this signaling makes an economy less efficient, therefore
less able to improve the lives of everyone, including the poor - who
cares? There are appearances to be kept, debate points to be scored.
Screw the poor, they are just an excuse to kick your enemies in the
shin.

Rafal