[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon May 2 06:26:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 April 2011 06:59, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I do. I am not sure that we can measure that in a fully rigorous
> manner, but I have once or twice listed in my writings a series of
> extremely dramatic turning points which have almost invariably taken
> place in the hundred of years roughly from the second half of the XIX
> century and the first half of the XX. Medicine, surgery, diagnostics,
> physics, engineering, chemistry, genetics, engines, biology, natural
> history, mathematics, lifestyle, avionics, linguistics, cosmology,
> computing, prophylaxis, art, you name it.

Stephano, the game changing breakthroughs you are yearning for will be
realized in nanotech, biotech and artificial intelligence. You are
right that there haven't been paradigm shifts in the last 40 years,
just more and better of the same. The areas where things may have
actually shifted in a somewhat meaningful way is that which was
wireless is wired, and that which was wired is wireless. That which
was broadcast is now pointcast, and that which was pointcast is now
broadcast. These are game changing issues.

In the zeitgeist, I think perhaps the most significant change is the
death of privacy, or rather the need for privacy in the younger folk.

Paradigm shifts are hard to spot from inside of them, they only become
clear later. I hear vinyl records made a really big comeback last
year.

-Kelly