[ExI] Did Hugo de Garis leave the field?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 2 09:11:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 01:19:05AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 12:26:23AM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> > I can tell you the politically active youth is *very* aware of
> > their need for privacy. And all these purchasers with fine
> > digital balances *and* zip lock baggies will learn about
> > their need for privacy in no time at all.
>
> You may be right, but regaining privacy once lost, is difficult.
>
> > We haven't had any paradigm shifts in the last 40 years.
>
> Since 1971? So the personal computer,

The microcomputer has been around since 1970 (the IC is even
earlier), and it has no fundamental architectural differences
from the mini, nor the mini from the mainframe.

> Internet, cell phone, laser

Packet-switching is 1968. Mobile phone is 1973.

> printers, none of that constitutes a paradigm shift? If so, then whata

Laser is 1960, laser printer is 1969.

> does?

The switch from phytobiomass to fossil energy. Industrialization.

Paradigm shifts are rarer than people seem to think.