[ExI] The Great Silence again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon May 2 20:11:09 UTC 2011

A square meter at distance r from the sun will receive L/4 pi r^2 Watts
of sunlight. If it re-radiates that as a blackbody we get the relation
sigma epsilon T^4 = L/4 pi r^2 (where sigma is 5.6e-8 and epsilon is the
emissivity). Rearranging we get

T = [L / 4 pi sigma epsilon r^2]^0.25

For epsilon 1, r = 149e9 (1 AU) and L=3.83e26 W we get the temperature
409 K, or 136 C. It is a fun exercise to adapt this analysis to a sphere
half in shadow and see what "natural" temperature Earth would have.