[ExI] Farmville for real

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed May 4 11:59:34 UTC 2011

Subject: [ExI] Farmville for real

>Spike mentioned a project to allow Farmville players to try their skills on
a real-life farm.
A trial project is now starting up in the UK.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13276102>

>It was partly inspired by the online Facebook game Farmville and follows
the example of Ebbsfleet Football Club which is run on a similar basis.
Decisions about the running of the team in Kent has been in the hands of
MyFootballClub subscribers since 2008. ---- BillK

Thanks BillK, this gets me half way there.  A story in Mark Twain's Tom
Sawyer has Tom recruiting the local kids to do the job he was assigned and
pay him for the privilege of doing it.  In general and depending on the
circumstances, farming in America on a small scale isn't profitable, so in
many if not most cases, the farmer must pay to do that kind of work.  Most
real farmers have another paying job unrelated to farming, and live on
dreams of making it big, which they seldom do.

Since it is so educational and helps connect them with the food on their
plate and all that, my goal is to figure out how to convince the Farmville
community to operate my farm and pay me for the opportunity.  I think there
is a buttload of money to be made here.