[ExI] Planetary defense

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:37:18 UTC 2011

On 6 May 2011 02:41, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> This shows an interesting problem we have: NEOs are not the biggest or most
> important threats we need to stop. Yet they are the best managed of all of
> them. We know their physics, it is deterministic, we have a lot of data on
> them, we have some experimental interventions (asteroid and comet landings),
> there is a community working on the problem and there is even some public
> understanding of the issue. Try finding that combination for climate change,
> wars, AGI, bioweapons or nanotech. The only thing anywhere close is
> pandemics.

Yes. Personally, I am not terribly keen on the subject, but it is cool, and
it is relatively likely that something may actually end up being done to
reduce the risk, with some additional and more assured nice byproducts such
as increased investments in cutting-edge technology and increased attention
to space.

It would seem naive and myopic to me the choice of ignoring all that on the
basis that theoretically the best possible allocation of the relevant
resources would be different, especially when such a re-allocation is
largely implausible.

--
Stefano Vaj