[ExI] Kelly's future

salvatore micheal / sam iam micheals at msu.edu
Fri May 6 17:06:18 UTC 2011

Kelly's future could be closer than we think.

First watch the movie Robot Maid (can watch over Netflix).

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7i-49-en-70-3pda.html
or
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1381106/
to read a description.

It's a sad but telling movie of our near-future times..

Soon our technology will be capable of:
building/making realistic 'sex toys' (robots/dolls capable of performing complex sex acts)
interface devices so that sex can be performed 'over the internet' (see movie below)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262826/
the link above is for Thomas in Love (also viewable over Netflix), a subtle French movie about a man isolated by agoraphobia
 but what he does about it (his condition) is more telling about 'our human condition'
 i suspect the ending may be unrealistic

So our technology soon will enable us to
1. fall in love with virtual characters
2. make love via technology (another ref is the movie version of Brave New World - see link below)
3. love with robots/simulacrum

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080468/plotsummary is the link for the older version..
i believe there's a reference in there about having sex through a kind of device
the device fails and the girl gets pregnant

this is our soon-to-be technology.

what we DO with it is the Real question.

will we replace real partners with robot lovers? (at what percentage? the fact we will is established)
what will be the legal consequences? (such as with gay marriage and spousal rights)
 as an example, will we be able to marry our robot gfs/studs? will they have entitlement rights?
what will be the social impacts of robot partners? (such as projected by the movie AI?)
will we only use them in the sex trade? (as opposed to attempting to increase their awareness - purpose: partners in space exploration)

the last item could be both 'good and bad' for society:
using robots in the sex trade will reduce demand for humans currently involved
this increased dependency on robot-sex will tend to isolate humans from each other (just as the internet has a 'reversing effect' of actually isolating us - instead of 'bringing us together' as it could/should)
it's possible there might be 'rogue robots' performing sex-crimes (such as illustrated in Robot Maid) - how do we deal with that?

when we embrace robot gfs/studs as lovers, we create a Huge set of problems society must face in the process

when we use technology to make love with distant partners, we also take on a set of issues associated with that

when we fall in love with virtual characters, more social problems evolve..

sex over/via technology is a Hugely impacting set of problems facing humanity as we develop and integrate the technology
i personally feel technology has a tendency to isolate us from each other
this will only increase in the near future
because robots/dolls/studs can perform more consistently, with less complaints, less 'negative' characteristics (for a lover),
 i suspect they will be used more and more (as the technology becomes cheaper and more realistic)
whether the robots/dolls/studs will actually be capable of feelings/love is a Whole 'nother issue indeed..
i'm guessing the first feeling robot will arrive around 50 years from now (not just simulate feelings - actually Feel)
if a robot can feel love, can we prohibit marriage / more permanent relationships?

many will disagree with me but i use awareness as a guide:
if a robot is truly aware (as in a human/dolphin/whale/elephant/..) sense, then to me - it's human and deserves to be treated as human

we need to decide these issues BEFORE their development.
i'm not part of the group who insists only humans 'have souls' or are the only 'instances of the divine'..
i personally believe awareness is equivalent to 'having a soul' and makes the difference between machine and 'human'.
i continue to push 'robot rights' before we develop sophisticated ones (such as displayed in the film AI)..
no matter how inconsistent (something i Hate), flakey (another thing i Hate), superficial (yet another thing i Hate), or materialistic (yet yet another thing i Hate) girls are, i LOVE human women.

human women are magical to me .. words fail when i try to describe them .. as a personal aside, something happened to me recently which sorta blows away any robot-gf discussion..

it renewed my faith in human beings - human beings are to be cherished and adored - not ignored and cast aside for robots..

^^

that's just my humble opinion, sam