[ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 6 17:40:14 UTC 2011

Subject: [ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

On 6 May 2011 08:23, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>.If you want a serious treatment of this subject, I highly recommend
Love + Sex with Robots by David Levy. I suspect someone very soon will
combine robotics with the RealDoll,
and create an extremely expensive, amazing device that will make the moral
majority very uncomfortable.

Focus on this a minute.  If someone manages to create a sex machine and the
moral majority is squirmy about it, I ask them to show me in their sacred
literature exactly what commandment or principle or ethical guideline is
being violated by the whole notion.  Do let them cite the example of Onan in
Genesis 38:8-10, I'm ready, eager even, to debate that.  Go ahead, I dare
ya.  {8^D  Kelly, you are one who was trained in that discipline (religion
based morality.)  Pretend you are still in that thought-space, and do
suggest a line of argument that there is AAAAANYTHING at all wrong with
taking care of one's biological needs using a sexbot.  Anything.  Bible
only, no Mormon lit please.  Be prepared; I have pondered this long and
hard, and I find nothing, nada.  {8^D  {8-]

>.This makes me think of the debate endlessly resurfacing on the
poorly-defined and somewhat contradictory idea "friendly AIs".  .If he or
she is not bound to (behave as if he) be sexually attracted by you, there is
little point in having one around just as a sex toy when your chances are
just the same with a fellow human being. Or perhaps better... :-)  --
Stefano Vaj

For a remarkable Hollywood treatment of this topic, see West World:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

That was made nearly 40 years ago, but it was a fun romp, not a comedy but
not really a terror drama either; rather it was thought provoking, and way
ahead of its time.  It has so many elements we yak on about today: AGI,
friendly evolving to unfriendly, sexbots, good kick and stomp with Yul
Brenner doing a convincing job as a proto-Data, lots of good visuals for
those of us who appreciate early to mid 1970s fashion.