[ExI] BDSM was Only Behavior?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat May 7 18:45:10 UTC 2011

2011/5/6 Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>:

snip

> I was excited to see so much talk about BDSM, this is obviously a minority
> camp, and I pity the majority that are in for a big surprise when they fully
> find out how effing great true BDSM really is.

Some years ago and completely without any intent, I figured out where
the evolutionary origin of BDSM comes from.

"An EP explanation stresses the fact that we have lots of ancestors
who gave up and joined the tribe that had captured them (and sometimes
had killed most of their relatives). This selection of our ancestors
accounts for the extreme forms of capture-bonding exemplified by Patty
Hearst and the 'Stockholm Syndrome.' . . . It accounts for battered
wife syndrome, (Battered person syndrome) where beatings and abuse are
observed to strengthen the bond between the victim and the abuser--at
least up to a point.Henson has proposed that the partial activation of
this psychological trait accounts for other mysterious human traits
such as Basic training "a mildly traumatic experience intended to
produce a bond" and fraternity hazing  (perhaps also other similar
initiation rites). The difficulty colleges have had in stamping out
injurious hazing may stem from instinctual knowledge of how to induce
bonding in captives.

"He also makes a case that the intense reward from sexual practices
such as BDSM derives from activation of the capture-bonding
psychological mechanisms."

Keith