[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat May 7 21:44:46 UTC 2011

 BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote,
> > <http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-05-04/>
> > Myths About Fat
> > and What to Do About It
> > by Harriet Hall
> >

> > Quote:
> > Diets are just tricks to get people to reduce total calorie intake,
> > and low-carb diets are no exception. A 2003 systematic review in the
> > Journal of the American Medical Association showed that weight loss on
> > low-carb diets was principally associated with decreased caloric
> > intake and increased diet duration, but not with reduced carbohydrate
> > content.

Low carb diets may work primarily by being more satisfying and making it
easier to reduce total calorie intake. The reduced carbohydrate intake may
have some additional effect. However, there is an assymetry between losing
weight and not gaining weight. Based on the evidence (which, by the way,
Taubes covers well), it's MUCH easier to avoid gaining weight on a low-carb
diet even if you are eating an amount that the standard view says should
cause you to gain weight. The theory on that perfectly matches my own
experience.

  Max More
  Strategic Philosopher.
Co-founder, Extropy Institute