[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 13:29:07 UTC 2011

"Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

I wrote:
> > Does that sound reasonable?
>
> Imminently so.
LOL :>

> Any diet that lowers total calories will work.  I fully
> agree that someone can eat a high fat diet and lose weight, as long as
> they consume fewer calories.  Now try to get a Taubes follower or Paleo
> dieter to agree that someone can lose weight on a high carb diet by the
> same token.

I'm not a 'Taubes follower' but I do follow a version of the palaeo diet, which seems to be doing me good (losing excess weight, feeling and sleeping better, the usual claims), so you have at least one Palaeo dieter who agrees that you /can/ lose weight on a high-carb diet.  For a little while, before the cravings become too much and you cave in, abandon the diet, gorge on even more carbs and get fat again.  The traditional dieter's story.

Unless you're one of the unusual people (we probably all know one) who can eat all the pasta they like, and stay as thin as a rake.  The people who never appear on any dieting studies.

Ben Zaiboc: