[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:53:56 UTC 2011

On 7 May 2011 21:59, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> I think what is being referenced here is that studies showed that the
> weight loss on various diets was 100% calculable based on reduced
> calories.  It didn't matter if the reduced calorie diet was low-carb,
> high-carb, low-fat, or high-fat.  Total calories in and out accounted
> for all of the weight loss.

All other things being equal, this would imply that the calories spent
in digesting food are always the same irrespective of the food being
digested, or the way it is administered.

This seems indeed counterintuitive, even without taking into account
the changes which different dietary style operate with regard to human
metabolism, or even more trivial things such as water retention -
which may have little to do with calories or body fat, but does
influence one's weight.

--
Stefano Vaj