[ExI] teleXLR8 Project News, May 16, 2011

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:24:20 UTC 2011

http://telexlr8.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/telexlr8-project-news-may-16-2011/

We are working to reload the teleXLR8 project using the open source
OpenQwaq technology. The teleXLR8 online talk program based on
Teleplace has been covered by Hypergrid Business ”as an online open
TED, using modern telepresence technology for ideas worth spreading,
and as a next generation, fully interactive TV network with a
participative audience.” At this moment OpenQwaq includes most
features of Teleplace, basically all features but the video codecs,
and missing / new features are being implemented by an active
development community.

In the picture above, a first test with OpenQwaq. Some teleXLR8rs are
actively participating in the OpenQwaq development community. We are
evaluating two options: 1) setting up our own servers, and 2) working
with other developers who are setting up OpenQwaq hosting services.

We will continue to produce free by invitation online talks and online
extensions to conferences, with a focus on future studies and emerging
technologies. All existing users will be welcome. If you wish to join,
please contact us and/or request to join the mailing list or the
groups on Facebook and Linkedin. Please note that we have created a
new Facebook group using the new FB group format. If you are in the
old group, which will be archived soon by FB, please request to join
the new group.

Participation in the online talks will be free by invitation. Of
course, as we used to do last year, we will post full video and audio
recordings of all talks on our video channels (Blip.tv, Vimeo and
Youtube). Very good news: our Youtube channel has been approved for
videos longer than the standard 15 minutes. We have uploaded the most
popular videos of previous shows to Youtube.

We will soon launch a fundraising project for the set up and the first
year of operations, and we will try to meet the running costs after
the first year with donations and sponsorships. The new phase of
teleXLR8 will be a community project, and we encourage all users to
become actively involved.

The new image used on teleXLR8 sites is taken from a very nice picture
of street art, video-conferencing with an alien touch, with a Creative
Commons license.