[ExI] Iain M Banks' Culture Novels [WAS Re: Usages of the term libertarianism]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri May 20 16:01:40 UTC 2011

Damien Broderick wrote:
> On 5/20/2011 1:05 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>> That would be Iain Banks's Culture, with a bit of luck. Post-scarcity
>
>> Any particular book that would be a good place to start? He's written
>> quite a few.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture
>
> Consider Phlebas (1987)
>
>         The first Culture novel. Its protagonist is working for the
> religious Idiran Empire against the Culture. A rich, although basically
> linear story about rescuing one of the artificial sentiences of the
> Culture, it takes place against the backdrop of the galaxy-spanning
> Idiran War.
>
> Use of Weapons (1990)
>
>         A non-linear story about a Culture mercenary called Zakalwe.
> Chapters describing his adventures for Special Circumstances are
> intercut with stories from his past, where the reader slowly discovers
> why this man is so troubled.
>
> The State of the Art (1991)
>
>         A short story collection, mostly not connected with the Culture,
> but including two short stories and the eponymous title novella, set
> within this universe. The novella deals with a Culture mission to Earth
> during the 1970s.

FWIW I came into his books first through "The Player of Games".  Perhaps
more thoughtful and philosophical, which allowed me to meditate more on
the social and ethical aspects of the Culture.  Plot line not really as
tight as some of the others, though.

I find Banks' Culture to be an excellent vision of the only stable
society of the future, if what we want is a future in which we don't
live in log cabins, spending every minute of our time collecting tolls
from anyone who comes within breathing distance.  Frankly, I choose
starships over log cabins.

Richard Loosemore