[ExI] the ethics of the Vile Offspring

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 22 14:28:38 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> Conversely, take Stross's Accelerando. How should we condone the
> incredibly parochial hostility to what is cavalierly defined the Vile
> Offspring which is expressed in the last part of the book?

Moral relativists or people viewing value as being a purely social or
psychological construct  have no problem in accepting the character's
hostility to the VO. But it might be a correct ethical judgement even if
there exists an absolute standard for value.

I suspect Stross got the idea partially from Nick Bostrom's paper "The
future of human evolution" where he discusses scenarios where
posthumanity evolves into something that completely lacks whatever it is
that actually gives existence value, for example a very capable and
expansive civilization where there is no consciousness. (Stross may
however independently have had a similar idea, there is something
similar in his early work "Scratch Monkey"). The Vile Offspring might
simply lack any form of value (moral, aesthetic, etc) and be an
unstoppable force squeezing out systems that do have value.

Of course, humans or human-derived beings might just parochially think
anything incompatible with their mode of existence and their values to
be valueless - it could just as well be that the VO is actually
fantastically good by some unknown absolute standard (and that the best
thing any posthuman can do is to help it grow). But it is not obvious
that a randomly evolved or designed thing must strive towards maximal
value by this standard (the paperclip maximizer AI is a fine
counterexample), or even that it is very likely.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute