[ExI] Usages of the term libertarianism

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon May 30 18:18:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 07:11:37PM +0200, Stefano Vaj wrote:

>    "Barriers to entry" (typically, a given market or profession) would not
>    be, especially if they are of a legal nature, would they?
>    I am not sure of other, non-legal barriers, but then I am no expert of
>    libertarian doctrines about cartels.

Not sure why you're jumping to barriers to entry but no, legal barriers
like doctor licensing wouldn't be very libertarian.  But that's
irrelevant to land monopoly like I was talking about.

Non-legal barriers would be high capital requirements, economies of
scale, and the ability to use price dumping to drive new competitors out
of business.  Which last is perfectly libertarian.

-xx- Damien X-)