[ExI] Social right to have a living

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon May 30 20:18:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:18:15PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>> Part of becoming rich is wanting to become rich badly enough to do
>> whatever is necessary to do so. Many poor people that I have met are
>
>> The probability of escaping poverty is MUCH higher in places with
>> better governments, like the United States. But it is still possible
>> to escape poverty in most places. I admit that it is nearly impossible
>
> I note a difference between "becoming rich" and "becoming rich
> ethically".

OK. I can buy that, but I'd like a little more insight into what you
think is unethical. To me, the following are unethical

- Being on top of a pyramid scheme
- Slavery
- Using brutality to coerce workers (think Chinese prison labor)
- Abusing the environment
- Using religion unethically (think building the pyramids)
- Wasting natural resources unnecessarily (we may ALL be doing this to
some extent)
- Doing things at the expense of coming generations (think massive
multi-generational debt)
- Breaking the law (hiring illegal aliens)
- Using drugs on employees (Nasa, Military)
- Bribery (think getting government contracts)

The following things are NOT unethical

- Child labor (where the children choose to work)
- Hiring huge amounts of labor at market prices (some call this
exploiting the masses)
- Taking advantage of the benefits acquired through culture, history,
education and relations.
- Networking (it's not what you know, but who)

-Kelly