[ExI] Hydraulic Fracturing [WAS Re: Cephalization, proles...]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue May 31 02:46:31 UTC 2011

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> Do you know what is the subject under discussion here?
>>
>> This is called "hydraulic fracturing".
>>
>> It is about taking a large flow of water from rivers, adding (known +
>> unknown) chemicals to the water, then heating it up and sending it
>> underground, where it forces the gas out of the rocks, and comes back up
>> again as a gas-water mixture.
>>
>> Then the gas is extracted from the mixture, and ..... oh dear.
>>
>> The water that comes back up seems to be poisoned.
>
> ### No, it isn't poisoned. First of all, fluids are used only in the
> first part of the process, the actual drilling, which may last a few
> months, followed by many years of gas recovery without or with only
> negligible fluid accumulation. Secondly, there are no "poisons" in the
> fracking fluids, only relatively minor amounts of common chemicals
> which at the concentrations present do not threaten anybody, even
> workers directly dealing with them. The main components of fracking
> fluids are water, sand, common bleach (which mostly decomposes
> underground), a detergent and a lubricant, usually oil. After recovery
> the fluids may have trace amounts of various minerals leached from
> shale, but then all well water also has minerals leached from shale.
> Most fracking operations re-use their fluids, since this is cheaper
> than dumping them, and cleaning the fluids is easy too - by
> sedimentation, biological remediation, filtration, flocculation, any
> of the common techniques of waste water treatment.
>
> Again, Richard, read up on the technology but please avoid eco-fascist
> propaganda sites as your sources.

Curious.

I set you a challenge before, and you complete ignored it because the
answer would have embarrassed your position.  Instead, you returned to
an earlier line from the thread and started ranting again.

I challenged you to get a full and complete, objectively confirmed
disclosure from one of the fracking companies, regarding the actual
chemicals they use in the hydraulic fracturing procedure.  You, Rafal,
seem to know EXACTLY what chemicals they are using because you keep
telling us that you know.   And yet, strangely, the companies concerned
refuse to disclose those chemicals to the public, or to the State of New
York.

And when I asked you to pass the information from them, to us, you ...
just went back to ranting again.

That tells us a great deal about you.  Not so much about the fracking
though.

Take your own advice, Rafal.

You are so comprehensively ignorant of the technology, that you write
down your fantasies as if they were facts.

But why should I be surprised that you would do such a thing?  Like most
fascists, you like to play games with the truth, and your try to win
arguments by hammering away with falsehoods so strongly -- so LOUDLY --
that eventually someone will think you are telling the truth just
because you are the one making the most noise.

Richard Loosemore