[ExI] Hydraulic Fracturing [WAS Re: Cephalization, proles...]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue May 31 15:55:39 UTC 2011

BillK wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>> ### Yeah, I and everybody who cares to read up, knows there is water,
>> sand, bleach, detergent and oil in the fluid. What else do you want to
>> know?
>
> Or maybe not?
> Two news items indicate that people still want to know the details.
>
> <http://coloradoindependent.com/79273/degette-polis-once-again-introduce-frac-act-to-bring-federal-oversight-to-gas-fracking>
> Quote:
> DeGette, Polis once again introduce FRAC Act to bring federal
> oversight to gas fracking
> By David O. Williams  03.15.11
>
> U.S. Reps. Diana DeGette and Jared Polis, both Colorado Democrats,
> have once again introduced the Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness
> of Chemicals Act (FRAC Act) to regain federal regulatory authority
> over the natural gas drilling process known as hydraulic fracturing,
> or fracking.
>
> DeGette and Polis unsuccessfully ran the legislation last session,
> seeking to close the so-called “Halliburton Loophole” named for the
> oil and gas services company previously headed up by former Vice
> President Dick Cheney. It was during the Bush-Cheney administration in
> 2005 that Congress granted hydraulic fracturing an exemption from
> federal regulation under the Safe Drinking Water Act.
> ------------------
>

> <http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2011/05/30/6746033-texas-may-soon-make-frack-chemicals-public>
> Quote:
> Texas may soon make 'frack' chemicals public
> Mon May 30, 2011
>
> HOUSTON — Texas could soon become the first state to require drilling
> companies to publicly disclose the chemicals they use to crack tight
> rock formations in their search for natural gas.
> Legislation approved Sunday night in the Texas House could prompt the
> U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other states to make similar
> rules. The governor hasn't indicated whether he'll sign it.
>
> Many companies refuse to say what chemicals are used, arguing it could
> harm their competitive edge. Others fear the chemicals could taint
> groundwater or soil.

Thanks for the links, BillK.

I find it interesting that the above information is (a) common knowledge
to myself and everyone else who knows about the issue, and (b) easily
referenced by yourself, from publicly available news sources, but (c)
flatly denied as false, and described as "eco-fascist propaganda" by
Rafal Smigrodzki.

;-)

Richard Loosemore