[ExI] question for twitter hipsters

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 31 21:04:55 UTC 2011

I don't use twitter, so younger and more hip sorts here, do pardon my not
hipness.

Question please: a US politician Anthony Weiner, is claiming his twitter
account was hacked and someone sent a lewd picture from his account to a
young lady in Seattle, but it tweeted to 45000 followers.  The politician
was a follower of the young lady in question, one of 97 people he followed.
She (the recipient) claims she knew his account was being used by someone
else for several months before.  Question please, can a person go in and
change his password if he suspects someone has hacked his account?  Is there
any reason to not change the locks if one suspects a break-in?  Could the
politician have not known his account had been hacked?  The story doesn't
make sense to me, but I don't know how these devices work.  If one made this
assertion to provide plausible deniability, does it make sense to be a
follower of.  damn, this is so puzzling I don't even know how to formulate a
sensible question, so all I am doing is displaying my own ignorance.
Googling the topic doesn't help because I am getting conflicting answers on
this specific instance.