[ExI] Best and brightest

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 00:35:24 UTC 2011

About ten years ago some friends and I had a few hour conversation
with a girl from Germany who was going to graduate school at the
University of Missouri at Columbia.  The funniest thing that came up
was the difference in how celebrities behave in Europe versus the United
States.  The subject came up because one girl waited on Charlie Sheen
at a Burger King drive through in Nebraska.  After everyone talked about
the celebrities we had all met over the years she was in shock.  She said
the celebrities in Germany don't mix with the people.  We had all met
numerous celebrities.  A very different view in America - it is common
to start out poor and make it big and the classes do mix all the time.

Ths scale of things in the US is not well understood.  Her brother talked
about flying to Miami and driving up to Missouri to see her that afternoon.

I saw a similar reaction by Japanese engineers and a German friend years
ago.  They don't seem to get the idea that some US states are as big
as some countries they are used to.

Dennis May