[ExI] Morality research

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 10:08:05 UTC 2011

Yet another survey has revealed surprisingly large numbers of people
using drugs to boost their mental powers. What should be done?

MOST of us want to reach our full potential. We might drink a cup of
coffee to stay alert, or go for a run to feel on top of the job. So
where's the harm in taking a pill that can do the same thing?
<http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21157-the-dope-on-mental-enhancement.html?full=true>

Quote:
It's not just students who claim to find the drug beneficial. Anders
Sandberg of the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of
Oxford talks openly about using cognitive-enhancing drugs. He is about
to start a study in Germany to compare the effects of a range of
cognitive enhancers, including two hormones – ghrelin, which promotes
hunger, and oxytocin, which is associated with empathy – to test their
powers at what he calls "moral enhancement".

"Once we have figured out how morality works as an emotional and
mental system there might be ways of improving it," he told me.

Wrong way round.   If you find ways of destroying morality then you
will be swamped by people who want to become millionaires in the
finance industry.

BillK