[ExI] Morality research

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:38:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Sounds like sheep to be skinned - even if lack of morality was necessary for
> becoming successful, it is not a sufficient condition.

True, but it's a start.  ;)

> Lack of morality is rarely a benefit: it impairs the ability to work well in
> long-term alliances. There is a reason many of the most ruthless regimes and
> groups in history have strongly emphasized the importance of morality (but
> *their* morality of course, which tends to treat outsiders badly). Groups
> filled with sociopaths and backstabbers disintegrate long before they can do
> anything large-scale. An interesting variation is organisations where
> well-defined formal rules and contracts can take the place of morality: here
> an amoral stance can function without necessarily messing up the
> organisation, at least short term.

If ruthless regimes emphasise 'their' morality which destroys others,
then I am not sure what sort of morality you might seek to enhance and
how you would tell the difference.

Some might say that groups filled with psychopaths have brought the
world economy to its knees, enriching themselves and destroying the
lives of millions. These appear to be quite long-lasting and
successful groups. These might be the groups with rules and contracts
that you mention, but applying these rules requires the suspension of
what most of society would call 'morality'.

> The big questionmark about moral enhancement is whether there exist any
> low-hanging fruits that are useful. Just boosting prosociality through
> oxytocin is likely a bad idea, given some evidence that it leads to group
> parochiality. A sociopathy detector on the other hand might really clean up
> some social structures... or lead to problematic witchhunts (just because
> you don't care for other people doesn't mean you have done or will do
> anything wrong). IMHO cognitive enhancement is the best approach to moral
> enhancement, since it has multiple benefits.

Cognitive enhancement is a tool that can be used for good or evil.  I
don't know of any basis for claiming that more intelligent people are
generally more moral. How do you ensure that enhanced intelligence is
'Friendly'?

BillK