[ExI] New CERN neutrino speed results today, and the FTL signal is STILL THERE!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 19 19:12:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 10:34:16AM -0800, john clark wrote:
> On Sat, 11/19/11, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> "It's weird how they stopped talking about the error to relativistically
> compensate for the GPS clock sync. "
> Probably because few think that that can be the true explanation for these bizarre FTL results. I always thought it unlikely that the big brains at CERN could operate the LHC but were flummoxed by a GPS receiver. I mean the CERN people had enough skill at GPS to notice that after a recent earthquake the 430 mile distance between the neutrino generator and detector had suddenly increased by two and a half inches.

GPS position is easy, synchronizing oscillators via GPS is trickier
if you're not using relativistic corrections (actually, it's
provably impossible given inertial fram dragging, but Earth
has nigh-negligible impact on spacetime curvature and rotates
slowly).

The experiment has troubles. It has 50 ns measurement granularity
and they're still relying on GPS. Perhaps they can lay fiber or
use two previously synchronized atomic clocks.

I still think this is nothing. We'll see soon enough.