[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Nov 27 16:56:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> Hi Everyone!

[...]
>   Meanwhile, the greasy kid from Washington could not talk the
> WordPerfect people into supporting his newfangled Windows program,
> because they were too busy cooperating with IBM in producing a word
> processor for the "obviously superior in every technical way" OS/2...
> and the story started that Windows would be an also ran, and they
> didn't immediatly port WordPerfect to Windows. And when they did, they
> discovered it to be difficult. Very difficult. Partially because they
> were still writing in assembler. Never mind now that WordPerfect ran
> on something like 29 platforms already... So anyway, the kid from
> Washington had to write his own word processor for Windows, and Word
> was foisted upon the world.

I smell a contradiction here... Since they have already ported WP to so
many so different targets, the reason for failing with next port is not so
obvious to me. Unless...

[...]
>   While there are many morals to this story, one moral is that picking
> the most optimal programming language is usually the least of your
> problems. Smart kids from another place are usually a bigger problem.

...unless the real problem with sleazy kids is they make their system in
such a way, that only their own programs work well on such platform, while
others are either denied the information or the system refuses running the
program or... I think many application makers mark beginning of their fall
as soon as they tried to compete with Sleazy Soft. Or as soon as Sleazy
Soft turned its eye on their business. This has not so much to do with
choice of right language or proper practice. IMHO, more like fighting
uphill battle in the dark and using guns sold to you by your opponent.
Wow, guns don't work. Wow, our maps are wrong. Crap.

If we add to this the demise of any other hardware beyond PC, there is
simply no place to hide from Sleazy. Time will show if this is going to
change. The playground is changing constantly. And the sleazy kids have
the one problem, and very big - they are, I think, masters of one trick
only.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola