[ExI] Shrimp

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 27 23:46:32 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
.

If you have a strong stomach for over the top environmentalist bilge, here
is a Greenpeace produced piece that does give you the
idea...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUHcD_jTgVA
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUHcD_jTgVA&feature=related>
&feature=related

Ja, a bit of yellow journalism, but they make an interesting comment about
jillions of species not yet discovered.  I have no doubt that is true and
highly relevant, because we have just begun exploring the sea.

I have watched bugs most of my life.  As a kid, people gave me bug books,
and I knew my bugs.  They interest me more than land beasts in many ways
because of the terrific variety.  When you think about it, mammals are all
pretty much the same thing.  You can get a cat for instance, take it apart
piece by piece, and find there is a corresponding organ or bone in horses,
rats, humans, aardvarks, all mammals.  We are different shaped versions and
variations of each other.  But bugs are all over the map.

A few years ago, I saw an insect I had never seen before.  It looked like a
big cockroach with claws and a whip tail.  Closer inspection revealed it
wasn't an insect.  Eight legs!  Thanks to the web, I eventually discovered
it was a thelyphonida, probably a mastigoproctus.  After that day, I decided
to pop for a phone with a camera, in case I ever see an unknown (to me)
species.

OK so if I can go a over half a lifetime and see something like this exactly
once, it is just as easy I could have missed that.  The sea is filled with
oddball stuff, because there are so many very different ecological niches
all over the place down there, and not so many observers.  There are spiders
in the sea as well by the way.  We call them horseshoe crabs, but if you
pick up one and look underneath it, it's a big spider with a carapace on its
back.

So.  I will devour farmed shrimp, but let the others go.