[ExI] Proposal for collaboration with Wired Magazine and Canonizer.com

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon Nov 28 02:04:09 UTC 2011

Extropians,

We’re working on a proposal to take to a popular magazine like perhaps
Wired, Scientific American, or something.

Googling seems to indicate that Betsy Mason is the current science
editor for wired. I’m wondering if any of you know her, or anyone else
at wired?

Below is a draft of a proposed cold call e-mail we were thinking of
sending I’d be very interested to know what any of you would think, if
you were at wired, and received a cold call e-mail something like this.
And what do you think our possibilities of success, or not, would be
with all this?

Thanks,

Brent Allsop

To: Betsy Mason (Science Editor, Wired Magazine)
Subject: Collaboration proposal with wired magazine and Canonizer.com

Hello Betsy Mason,

If you have a minute, we have a proposal for a possible co-operative
venture between Wired and Canonizer.com that we believe could be very
mutually beneficial.

My name is Brent Allsop, one of the volunteers working on a wiki system
that solves the communication problems plaguing Wikipedia, and the
internet as a whole. This is a consensus building open survey system
enabling large crowds to communicate with everyone concisely and
quantitatively. It can do things like eliminate edit wars by creating
wiki camps, and provide a measure of expert consensus on the reliability
of any controversial information. This method of enabling crowds to work
to communicate concisely and quantitatively amplifies and educates the
wisdom of the entire crowd in many significant ways.

Science works best when theoretical scientists make testable
predictions, as Einstein did, so the experimental scientists can get
funding and then do the test for and thereby validated or falsify them.
The problem is, most theoretical fields aren't this cut and dried. If a
theoretical field is very ideologically charged such that people's
entire religious view of themselves and their ability to survive well
into the eternities could be drastically effected; If there are
thousands of diverse theories; If most people struggle to get a handle
on even one or more of these theories, let alone the majority of them.
If there is no way to determine which of the thousands of theories are
the best, which are fading, having been falsified for most experts, and
which are new, emerging ones, dramatically approaching and possibly
surpassing any currently leading ones - making it impossible for anyone
to avoid wasting critical time on the huge number of primitive or crazy
theories; If experimental researchers have no objective evidence that
their proposed experiment is the most important experiment to be done in
their effort to receive funding; If all the individual experts describe
their current working hypothesis using their own custom contradictory
and subtly different in critical ways terminology; there is little
chance of any good scientific discovers coming out of such fields.

As an experimental proof of concept test of what this amplification of
the wisdom of the crowd system can do, we started the Consciousness
Survey Project to see if we could get any kind of a good unbiased survey
on this theoretical field that arguably suffers from all these problems
more than any other. Clearly, very smart people have been struggling to
produce any kind of consensus or anything experimental scientists could
test for, for centuries, with little to show for their work. Most
people, including experimental researchers, ridicule the field as mere
"Philosophies of Men". The exponentially exploding volume of information
coming out of this field continues to do little but lead everyone, even
the experts, to believe that most everyone is only critical of their own
theories, and that nobody can agree on anything.

This consciousness survey project started out with only a few hobbyists,
computer programmers with no philosophy training, including high school
students and so on participating and doing the bulk of the wiki work in
their spare time. Along the way we've picked up some real experts such
as Steven Lehar, Stuart Hameroff, John Smythies, and a growing number of
others, confirming and accelerating what we were all learning and
developing by communicating in this manner. Watching the various
theories start to emerge, and seeing where early leading groups of
consensus are forming, has been exciting and surprising. Unlike the
nobody agrees on anything results coming out of the ivory tower, the
internet, from Wikipedia, in the name of "neutral POV", and everywhere,
we're seeing dramatically different results. The early results seem to
be hinting that there could be a huge amount of expert consensus, after
all, on a great many critically important things in this field.

Despite all this drama, this canonized data is just that - raw
scientific survey data that isn't very approachable to the general
public. All that is missing is some good science reporting of all this
drama. In sports, you have callers reporting on the exciting drama, as
it unfolds, one team surpassing another, as the crowd watches and
cheers. Our thinking is that such front row, understandable to all,
seats to these competing theories being developed would be far more
interesting to intelligent people than any other 'reality show'. So what
the volunteers working on this project are seeking is a partnership with
a modern, wired, news reporting publication company such as possibly
Wired, Scientific American, Discover, or whatever. We are dreaming of
having at least an introductory article describing this open survey
process, and the surprising consensus results we have achieved so far,
along with our solicitation of any interested Wired readers to participate.

Many of the participators, having experienced firsthand, this
amplification of the wisdom of the crowd, are now in the camp that
believes even a general crowd of readers, most of them not necessarily
affiliated with the established academia, could quickly surpass what the
establishment has been able to produce to date. The predicted results
being an easily digestible set of improving, state of the art, concisely
stated theories, in a consistent language, along with quantitative
historical measures of how well accepted each was and is by this growing
crowd. The leading theories would have accurate descriptions of how to
test for the predictions being made in such a way that specific
scientific experiments could be funded to validate them - falsifying all
competing theories or vice verse.

The prediction is that, after this co-operative experiment between
Wired, Wired readers, and Canonizer.com, the only remaining task would
be for the nuts and bolts researchers to do the described tests, and
validate or falsify them. If this experimental co-operation with a
science news magazine is in any way successful, this could ultimately
lead to what could become the most revolutionary scientific achievement
of all time - the objective discovery of the subjective mind and its
connection to the underlying brain matter. Obviously, as soon as all the
experts start to abandon primitive falsified camps, and converge on any
one theory, it will be the required proof that success has been
achieved. The early consensus already emerging appears to indicate we
might already be well on our way. If so, there is no telling where a
collaboration between such a news organization and Canonizer.com could
go from there.

The growing crowd of volunteers from around the world, looking to expand
this survey process, are excitedly looking forward to hearing from you,
and finding out any thoughts you, or anyone at wired, may have along
these lines or anything.

Upwards,

Brent Allsop
Founder Canonizer.com