[ExI] millionaires and billionaires

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Oct 1 00:34:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, John Grigg wrote:

> I've found this thread fascinating, and will now add some of my own
> thoughts.  I used to work in the hospitality field, and so got to meet my
> share of millionaires and even a few billionaires.  I found many of these
> people (especially the older ones) to be courteous and friendly, while I
> remember a young trust fund venture capitalist (family business) who was so
> obnoxiously arrogant to everyone, I wanted to deck him hard for his own
> good.
>

> A rather eccentric and very tall, gangly old man (dressed like he was an old
> west undertaker) came to the lodge to visit, and he would just lounge around
> on some big rocks outside and watch the world go by.  I went out to say
> hello and see if he needed anything, and I got a Yoda-like sharing of wisdom
> from him.  I was later told he was one of the wealthiest people in the
> state.

So, yet another mail with interesting real life observations :-). Just to
add a bit to yours and Kelly's postings (because it seems this thread is
going to dry soon), two reflections:

1. It is quite possible there exists a group of wealthy people, whose only
contact with physical world is by hands of their workers/servants. Since I
suspect they mostly hang up with their likes, it is hard to say anything
certain about their psyche, morale or character.

This remainds me of one s-f short story about times when humans will
overcome death. Those born mortal and undergoing therapy in their later
lifes are somewhat able to find understanding with those who underwent
therapy in their youth. But those who were born immortal had tendency to
be, in simple words, assholes asking for a good trashing.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much more, including names and title.

2. If a history is to teach us something, Polish history including, here
is an example of historical super-rich. Also known as magnaterie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnate

In later ages of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, they ruled over waste
areas of land and had their own armies, very real and well equipped. From
what I have heard/read, they also waged conflicts with our neighboring
states (looking for betterment of their personal fortunes) and from time
to time the whole country had to pay for this.

I think they contributed to demise of Poland because to perform their
powerplays unopposed, it was good for them to make a big group of poorer
nobility into their clientele, either by direct bribing or by ways of
employment. This created a large "noble mob", who believed they were
acting in Poland's best interest (at least they made lots of noice about
it) while doing whatever their patron asked them to do. In effect, making
any positive change would become impossible, as this could strip power
from magnates and, obviously, they were against any such change. Closer to
the infamous partitions, magnates were stupid enough to ask neighbor
states (at the time, rising powers while Poland slipped down) for help
against each other - thinking they manipulate those states for their own
goals, they in fact became manipulated puppets.

To make my description a bit more just, magnates have also funded
hospitals, orphanages, libraries and schools. They were doing a lot to
introduce modern agriculture and industry into their domains. They also
built towns from time to time (well, not with their hands).

So a full picture of super-rich is going to be painted in a variety of
colors.

Also, I'm not sure if there is any social system that prevents the rise of
super-rich people (assuming rich is not only about monetary wealth). And
once they enter the scene, they gradually start acting against the system
because they have to maintain their status quo. They also act against
their rivals, but contrary to the system, rivals are able to defend
themselves.

Once again, proper education of the masses could be a strong deterrent.

> Dennis May continues:
> You meet millionaires all the time and likely don't know it.
> I can't say I've ever met a billionaire.  I think the extent of the
> rich I've ever been around is in the under 50 million range.
> Most millionaires are not cocky about their money.  Most
> people who act cocky about money are immature and
> likely wannabes in debt.
>  >>>

> This is very true.  My eyes were opened by reading the great book, "The
> Millionaire Next Door."  I recommend it to everyone.  I find most

Two books on my bookshelf cry to be read, both by Richard Conniff:

1. The Natural History of the Rich: A Field Guide

2. The Ape in the Corner Office: How to Make Friends, Win Fights and Work
Smarter by Understanding Human Nature

>From a very brief look inside, they promise to describe few things about
rich folks.

I guess it is from one of those books I got a story about 5-millionaires
being very unhappy because they couldn't have afforded a house in Aspen,
Colorado. And flying private jet for hollidays there.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola