[ExI] More on Neutrinos

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 1 04:22:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9/30/11, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

 compare neutrinos to electrons and protons assumes they have mass.  If
they do not have mass, then they must be going exactly at c.  If they do
 have mass, they must be going slower.  Otherwise, our understanding of
physics is all wrong."

A neutrino must have mass but not necessarily real mass. According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity the energy of a particle moving at velocity v is mc^2 divided by the square root of (1-v^2/c^2) . The energy of a neutrino must be real, because sometimes we can see it do work, but if it's moving faster than light and v is greater than c then the square root of (1-v^2/c^2) is imaginary, so if the energy is to be real the term mc^2 must be imaginary also so they cancel out, the speed of light can't be imaginary and the only other term in the numerator is m, so if a neutrino is moving faster than light and has real energy it must have an imaginary mass;and thus the faster it goes the less energy it has.

 "Oh this is exciting"

Yes, but if it turns out that this was all caused because somebody forgot to convert inches to centimeters or something I'm going to be pissed.

 John K Clark